Lounge Artist Hooverphonic ( Lounge Music, ProLounge)

Source: Hooverphonic.com
Biography

Hooverphonic is based in Belgium, a small European country with a strong music scene featuring an open air festival tradition that starts as early as 1959.
Hooverphonic's career has been marked from the beginning by international recognition, when the song '2 Wicky' was chosen for the movie 'Stealing Beauty' by Italian director Bernardo Bertolucci. From then on, their music kept appearing in movies, TV shows and commercials in the States, as well as in Spain and Japan. You find a nearly complete list in the FAQ.

If Hooverphonic's '97 debut 'A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular' clearly showed trip hop roots, the band has evolved since with three albums in five years. In 2001 they headlined at the Werchter festival in front of a crowd of 50.000.
In 2003 they released 'Sit Down and Listen to', live recorded with a string quartet and followed by a tour with more than 60 concerts in 9 countries.

Hooverphonic features the same core trio since 8 years. Alex Callier, bass player, main songwriter and producer, is the main musical force together with guitar player Raymond Geerts, both coming from the city of Sint-Niklaas. They were joined by Geike Arnaert who replaced Lies Sardonius and gave the band its definitive voice and face in '97, at the age of 17.
Hooverphonic are currently working on their fifth studio album.

GEIKE ARNAERT - I was raised in a village called Westouter near the Belgian-French border. My two sisters are very good singers. I took violin lessons for three years, then I learned to play the piano in my performing arts school. My mom used to play the piano and my dad used to be a DJ for weddings, until unfortunately his record collection melted in his van.
Some favorite records: Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left / Boudewijn De Groot - De Eenzame Fietser / Billie Holiday - Lady in Satin / Crosby, Stills & Nash - Crosby, Stills & Nash / Fiona Apple - When the Pawn / Nina Simone - My Baby Just Cares for me / Elvis Costello - North / Joni Mitchell - Blue / Neil Young - After the Gold Rush / Bonnie Raitt - Bonnie Raitt /Sophie Zelmani - Sing and Dance / Anthony & the Johnsons - I Am a Bird Now

ALEX CALLIER - My father had a vastly eclectic album collection that remains quite impressive. I remember him playing music from all genres: classical, jazz, rock, pop, and metal...well, he did have some Jimi Hendrix albums. I have a film school degree specializing in Sound Engineering. I started Midi Programming at school, skipping classes to experiment in the school's studio.
Some favorite records: Sea Change - Beck / Out of Season - Beth Gibbons / Histoire de Melody Nelson - Serge Gainsbourg / Engine - American Music Club / Goldfrapp - felt mountain / Secrets of the Beehive - David Sylvian / Among my Swan -Mazzy Star / The Queen is Dead - Smiths / Protection - Massive Attack / Scott 4 - scott walker / Bossa Nova - Pixies / After the Goldrush - Neil Young

RAYMOND GEERTS - I started playing drums but that wasn't very practical because my parents lived in an apartment, so I began teaching myself the guitar - much easier on the neighbours. 70's Glam Bands such as The Sweet, T-Rex, and KISS inspired me to actually pick up a guitar and teach myself how to play it. KISS is my all-time favourite band, I even have a collection of KISS memorabilia. And I know that there are many artists out there who are avid KISS fans and list KISS among their list of influences - from Garth Brooks to Madonna - I mean, in New Orleans we were in Trent Reznor's (Nine Inch Nails) studio and he has a room there totally dedicated to KISS.
Some favorite records: The Brian Setzer Orchestra - The Dirty Boogie / KISS -- Dynasty / Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon / Chris Isaak - Wicked Game / Cousteau - Cousteau / Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain / David Sylvian - Secrets of the Beehive / Portishead - Dummy / Serge Gainsbourg - Histoire de Melody Nelson / Fiona Apple - Tidal